Paediatric Hospitals Programme
Kids’ Classics paediatric hospitals programme brings live music to children, their families and healthcare professionals in Dublin’s children’s hospitals. Professional musicians, under the direction of cellist Gráinne Hope, regularly visit hospital schoolrooms and bedsides to deliver a music programme of activities with children undergoing treatment in neurology, oncology, dialysis and intensive care units among others.
Since 2009, Kids’ Classics in partnership with the National Concert Hall’s Education, Community and Outreach programme, and with the support of the Community Foundation for Ireland has engaged with over 3,000 children and their families
The success of a pilot programme in 2009 demonstrated the overwhelming demand for this work. Kids Classics now runs an ongoing music residency programme in :
- Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin
- Children’s University Hospital, Temple Street
- National Children’s Hospital Tallaght
- St Rapheal’s Children’s Wards Beaumont Hospital
- LauraLynn Ireland’s Children’s Hospice
One of the striking aspects of this new series of music workshops in children’s hospitals is how the children of different ages are relaxed by the encounter with real classical musical instruments and the musicians.” – Sylvia Thompson, The Irish Times
- Bringing Classical & Popular music off the concert stage and into Healthcare and Community environments
- Offering distraction and relation for patients undergoing stressful treatments and help improve the quality of life for patients, families and staff,
- Enabling access to professional musicians
- Bringing a musical component and live music experience into a healthcare setting, where if had previously not existed.
‘Musical Memories’ is a programme that has been taking place annually in various Healthcare and Community Settings in Meath, Dublin and Cavan. The programme to date has been kindly supported by the local Arts Offices, The National Concert Hall and The Community Foundation of Ireland. Musical Memories started as series of short musical performances by 4 professional musicians bringing live music from the concert stage into local care settings, hospitals and nursing homes. [read more…..]